Buddha’s birth anniversary is celebrated every year during Baishakha Purnima (Full Moon of April or May). On this day people swarm in Swayambhunath, Boudhanath and other Gumba ( Monastery) to pay homage to Lord Buddha and also visit Buddha’s birth place in Lumbini and chant prayers and burn butter lamps. Lord Buddha was born in Lumbini, Nepal as Prince Siddhartha Gautam in 623 BC to King Suddhodhana and Queen Maya Devi but he abandoned his luxurious royal life, including his wife (Yashodhara), son (Rahul) on age 29, when he realized the misery of mankind and went in search of enlightenment. Siddhartha Gautama hardly meditated for six year in different places and finally he sitting under the Pipal Tree (Bodhivriksha) with Kuss (a sacred plant) Mattress, on eighth day of this meditation he got full enlightenment on day of Baishaakha Purnima (Full Moon). After enlighten Siddhartha Gautama was known as “Gautam Buddha”. Buddha Jayanti or also known as Buddha Purnima is the most sacred festivals of Buddhist. Buddha Purnima (Buddha Jayanti) is celebrated in remembrance Lord Buddha and his great Buddhist philosophy quotes. This year 2561st Buddha Jayanti going to celebrate on 10th –May-2017. Lord Buddha is the founder of Buddhism, now 488 million Buddha’s flower in the world. Buddhist philosophy quotes are much more important this day. This day commemorates three important events of Buddha's life. While spread precious quotes to the human being, he got Parinirvana at Kusinagar, India on age of eighty.
According to Buddhism, there are four main holy places for Buddhist:
Lumbini: Where Buddha was born.
Bodha Gaya: Where Buddha got enlightenment.
Sarnath: From where Buddha first taught the Dharma.
Kusinagar: where Buddha got Parinirvana.
- You will not be punished for your anger; you will be punished by your anger.
- Do not dwell in the past; do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
- Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.
- No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.
- Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.
- Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
- You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.
- We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.
- Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.
- The mind is everything. What you think you become.